Tuesday, 29 September 2015

What should your priority really be ?

Tuesday, 29 September 2015
My opinion is based on my experience and may not apply to all firms nor is it a critic of  any the firms I have work for.




Over the course of my studies, I have been blessed with working for a variety firms - architecture, hospitality and marketing. Here, I witnessed the positive and negative impacts operating procedures could have on a business. In this post I will attempt to bring to light of some these business practises.

Firstly, the most important component of running a business in my opinion is good communication within the organization. I have noticed that communication is extremely important especially in a small office. I have worked places where the boss is the only source of contact with their clients. I've noticed ideas get lost in translation from the client meeting to the office meeting to the final presentation. I would like to suggest collecting a scrapbook of precedents that the firm aspires to achieve to use at a meeting and  then bookmarking pages during a client meeting instead of merely having a verbal discussion of what the client  wants. I believe that by doing this it will result in a more effective use of manpower and material.

Secondly,  I believe that a company is a brand that is supported by its employees. Thus it only seems fitting that a company that encourages and provides incentives for its employees would tend to have a better performance. Incentivising employees would  result in a motivated and inspired team. In my opinion, this should and would result in a  more closely knit community where creativity would have a better chance at flourishing.

The third issue that I have noticed is that I've never actually seen any architecture firm with a handbook for standardised operating procedures. However, this is standard practise in a marketing or a hospitality. I would like to put this forward as a solution to the umpteen different types of working methodologies that are found within a single architecture firm. Would it not allow for someone else to easy pick up where the job was last stopped ?

The fourth issue that I would like to raise is being able to balance work and life Andrew Maynard's article "work/life/work" (http://www.archdaily.com/234633/worklifework-balancediscusses  the importance of this balance. I particularly love how he tells "architectural work practices to grow up" but what stands out to me is how well he has articulated this issue by posing it as question which I thought it would be better to quote rather than try to explain it myself:

Does contemporary architectural employment deny us our happiness; our friends, freedom and the opportunity for an analysed life? Many would argue that being employed in architecture and the pursuit of happiness are irreconcilable. It can reasonably be argued that most architects, and almost all recent graduates, are working in conditions that are unhealthy, unsustainable and exploitative."

This certainly makes one question whether or not one have been balancing work and life. I for one know  that I have to rethink some of my  current commitments!

Till next time :)
Keep your head up.Keep your faith.
The Contemporary Dragon Slayer © 2014