Tuesday, 14 February 2017

Regression or Evolution : Style

Tuesday, 14 February 2017


According to the Merriam - Webster dictionary, there are five possible definitions of style. 
For this post,  I'll be looking at style in terms of its ability to elegantly fit into the urban landscape.
If you were asking me to name a style icon, I would instantly answer - Jay Park. Simply because over the years he's evolved and created a style that can be easily identified as his own. However, I find myself at a loss when it comes to picking a single Architectural typology. Sure, there are monumental Starchitects but I'm not quite sure how I feel about seeing similar types of iconic buildings popping up on every city around the world at the expense of erasing the identity of these individual cities.

It might be a bit bold of me to say but, I feel like the current architectural style is regressing and there have been an increasing number of buildings just designed to shock the citizens of a particular city. For me personally, there has never been a single architectural typology but an assortment of "old-school"  typologies that I have found myself drawn to. Rationale dictates that if you were to put a group of architects in a room to discuss style you'd come to realise that style is a controversial topic and everyone has their five cents worth to offer.

Take for instance this years' Pantone Colour of the Year Greenery 15-0343, I'd like to know how many of you would actually incorporate that on your buildings? Personally, I found it slightly disappointing and I would be surprised if I saw every building  owner rushing out to buy a pot of green paint. It almost feels like overkill to have large green feature walls, it would be a different case if it were a green wall with plants.
As an architect in the early stages of her career, I feel like I should have had  a distinctive style evolving. However with my current situation, it feels like I'm regressing and losing my identity as a designer. So I'm using this as a starting point to try and create an Architectural identity for myself. Hopefully in the next few days I will be publishing some content to try and address these issues. Finally, I leave you with a quote to encourage all designers to create a unique style for themselves so that future generations might recognise their work as contributing to the urban fabric.




This post is part of the ArchiTalks series pioneered by Bob Borson of  Life of an Architect. This year we are trying to do something different and instead of Bob suggesting the topics we have topics suggested from the various ArchiTalks bloggers that were approved by Bob.This month, the privilege goes to Brian Paletz  who has recommended the theme of Style. I chose to talk about how difficult it is to pick a particular architectural style, creating an identity as an Architect and the kind of identity I hope to create for the future of my career.


Bob Borson - Life of An Architect (@bobborson)
Lee Calisti, AIA - Think Architect (@LeeCalisti)
Lora Teagarden - L² Design, LLC (@L2DesignLLC)
Collier Ward - One More Story (@BuildingContent)
Jeremiah Russell, AIA - ROGUE Architecture (@rogue_architect)
Eric T. Faulkner - Rock Talk (@wishingrockhome)
Michele Grace Hottel - Michele Grace Hottel, Architect (@mghottel)
Meghana Joshi - IRA Consultants, LLC (@MeghanaIRA)
brady ernst - Soapbox Architect (@bradyernstAIA)
Brian Paletz - The Emerging Architect (@bpaletz)
Michael LaValley - Evolving Architect (@archivalley)
Jarod Hall - di'velept (@divelept)
Greg Croft - Sage Leaf Group (@croft_gregory)
Jeffrey Pelletier - Board & Vellum (@boardandvellum)
Samantha R. Markham - The Aspiring Architect (@TheAspiringArch)
Kyu Young Kim - J&K Architects Atelier (@sokokyu)
Keith Palma - Architect's Trace (@cogitatedesign)
Jim Mehaffey - Yeoman Architect (@jamesmehaffey)
Mark Stephens - Mark Stephens Architects (@architectmark)
Post a Comment
The Contemporary Dragon Slayer © 2014