Tuesday, 11 April 2017

The Art of "Architecture of Change"

Tuesday, 11 April 2017
Recently, there have been alot of articles that focus on "showing and telling"  the Millennial Architect how they should design. One that particularly caught my attention was the article written by JoAnn Hindmarsh and Kurt Haapala about redesigning school restrooms (see link). This article was especially interesting to me since lately I've been working on the documentation of educational facilities. It demonstrated that the current architect should start considering the needs of the the people rather than  just using the "cut ,copy paste" method of designing a building. In my opinion a lot of the buildings designed in this day and age are not context specific nor do they suit the current user groups.

Since entering the industry, the comment I've heard the most was "when I was starting out the one thing I designed was toilet blocks!". I don't know what it was, but I felt that I should have expressed my opinions by saying, "that's not designing that's copy and pasting if you were designing toilet blocks we'd have plenty of different solutions by now". Time and time again, I've seen designers so reluctant to change their design just because a that design they were using has won an award or is cheap to build. I think it's time the Architect starts actually designing and not copying and pasting.

My angst aside, this article (see link) offers insight to how a school toilet block should be designed and if anything I strongly recommend you read it. In my opinion I believe that the Millennial Architect should embrace the art of " architecture of change" and start changing the way they think when designing, or we would just be proving Frank Lloyd right  when he said that today Architecture is shity! (see link).

 I've also included a list of Articles that talk about the Millennial Architect.

This Is How You Design a School for the Post-Millennial Generation in China

Hiring Millennial architects & designers & what is important to them
http://archinect.com/c4ablog/hiring-millennial-architects-designers-what-is-important-to-them

5 Architecture Career success tips for Millennials
https://www.thearchitectsguide.com/blog/architecture-career-tips-millennials

Culture is key for millennial in architecture,enginnering
http://www.lvb.com/article/20151116/LVB01/311069988/culture-is-key-for-millennials-in-architecture-engineering

This post is part of the ArchiTalks series pioneered by Bob Borson of Life of an Architect. This year, we are trying to do something different and instead of Bob suggesting the topics this month we have a topic suggested by Lora Teagarden who has recommended the theme of Architecture of Change. I talk about the changes in their design process that the Millennial Architect faces.

Marica McKeel - Studio MM (@ArchitectMM)
ArchiTalks : Architecture of Change

Lee Calisti, AIA - Think Architect (@LeeCalisti)
architecture for change

Lora Teagarden - L² Design, LLC (@L2DesignLLC)
Architect(ure) of Change

Collier Ward - One More Story (@BuildingContent)
Architecture of Change

Jeremiah Russell, AIA - ROGUE Architecture (@rogue_architect)
architecture of change: #architalks

Eric T. Faulkner - Rock Talk (@wishingrockhome)
Change -- The Document Evolution

Michele Grace Hottel - Michele Grace Hottel, Architect (@mghottel)
architecture of change

brady ernst - Soapbox Architect (@bradyernstAIA)
The Architecture of Change: R/UDAT

Brian Paletz - The Emerging Architect (@bpaletz)
Architecture = Change

Michael LaValley - Evolving Architect (@archivalley)
My Architecture of Change / Hitting Pause to Redesign My Life

Brinn Miracle - Architangent (@architangent)
Architecture of Change: Building a Legacy

Jeffrey Pelletier - Board & Vellum (@boardandvellum)
Imagining the Future of Architecture

Samantha R. Markham - The Aspiring Architect (@TheAspiringArch)
3 Things I Hope Change in Architecture

Rusty Long - Rusty Long, Architect (@rustylong)
Architecture of Change

Jim Mehaffey - Yeoman Architect (@jamesmehaffey)
Changes

Mark Stephens - Mark Stephens Architects (@architectmark)
The Architecture of Change
The Contemporary Dragon Slayer © 2014